2008 Mindset List
Each August, Beloit College puts out a list to help college professors get into the mindset of the incoming class. I always read it, because I find it fascinating.
Below is the list for the class of 2008–those who graduated high school with me…
(Comments by me in red)
- Most students entering college this fall were born in 1986. Check!
- Desi Arnaz, Orson Welles, Roy Orbison, Ted Bundy, Ayatollah Khomeini and Cary Grant have always been dead. So have Lucille Ball and Ted Knight. I discovered the other day that Ted passed away on August 26, 1986. Lucy didn’t pass away ’til 1989, but she died early enough that we wouldn’t remember her being alive.
- “Here’s Johnny!” is a scary greeting from Jack Nicholson, not a warm welcome from Ed McMahon. No, it’s always been the latter for me. I’ve never seen The Shining.
- The Energizer bunny has always been going, and going, and going. Yes. Yes, he has.
- Large fine-print ads for prescription drugs have always appeared in magazines. I don’t remember.
- Photographs have always been processed in an hour or less. Actually, I don’t remember the drug store downtown having one hour processing until I was partway through elementary school.
- They never got a chance to drink 7-Up Gold, Crystal Pepsi, or Apple Slice. I’ve only ever heard of Crystal Pepsi.
- Baby Jessica could be a classmate. I don’t even know who “Baby Jessica” is.
- Parents may have been reading The Bourne Supremacy or It as they rocked them in their cradles.
- Alan Greenspan has always been setting the nation’s financial direction. Check two.
- The U.S. has always been a Prozac nation.
- They have always enjoyed the comfort of pleather.
- Harry has always known Sally.
- They never saw Roseanne Rosannadanna live on Saturday Night Live. I didn’t even know who that was until I was an adult.
- There has always been a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- They never ate a McSub at McD’s. There was a McSub? Awesome.
- There has always been a Comedy Channel.
- Bill and Ted have always been on an excellent adventure.
- They were never tempted by smokeless cigarettes.
- Robert Downey, Jr. has always been in trouble.
- Martha Stewart has always been cooking up something with someone.
- They have always been comfortable with gay characters on television.
- Mike Tyson has always been a contender.
- The government has always been proposing we go to Mars, and it has always been deemed too expensive.
- There have never been any Playboy Clubs. I didn’t know there were any in the first place, ’til they started advertising the show…
- There have always been night games at Wrigley Field.
- Rogaine has always been available for the follicularly challenged.
- They never saw USA Today or the Christian Science Monitor as a TV news program. Really? That’s pretty crazy.
- Computers have always suffered from viruses.
- We have always been mapping the human genome.
- Politicians have always used rock music for theme songs.
- Network television has always struggled to keep up with cable.
- O’Hare has always been the most delay-plagued airport in the U.S.
- Ivan Boesky has never sold stock.
- Toll-free 800 phone numbers have always spelled out catchy phrases.
- Bethlehem has never been a place of peace at Christmas.
- Episcopal women bishops have always threatened the foundation of the Anglican Church.
- Svelte Oprah has always dominated afternoon television; who was Phil Donahue anyway?
- They never flew on People Express. Never heard of that airline. (That’s what that is, right?)
- AZT has always been used to treat AIDS.
- The international community has always been installing or removing the leader of Haiti.
- Oliver North has always been a talk show host and news commentator. Who’s Oliver North?
- They have suffered through airport security systems since they were in strollers.
- They have done most of their search for the right college online. I went with whatever schools I knew of. I didn’t know a third of the schools in Michigan existed until I’d already tried Western.
- Aspirin has always been used to reduce the risk of a heart attack.
- They were spared the TV ads for Zamfir and his panpipes. Who was that?
- Castro has always been an aging politician in a suit.
- There have always been non-stop flights around the world without refueling.
- Cher hasn’t aged a day.
- M.A.S.H. was a game: Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House. No, I’m afraid MASH was a show for me, first.
I’ve been thinking of looking up a list of stuff that happened the year I was born…that might be a future blog.