I’m probably the last to admit this (and I don’t know why…I’ve never had any bad experiences, except for accidentally making Sienna think that I wanted to be friends with her only because of her family), but I have a bit of a thing for the Carradines. *cringe*
That being said, it was pretty inevitable that I’d want to watch King of the Nerds. (Duh, right?) The only satellite I have at my place is satellite internet, but the way our viewing culture has evolved, it doesn’t matter–I can catch up with KotN any time I want. (I wouldn’t recommend the TBS site, though. Maybe it’s just my connection, but I can’t get any of their videos to come up.) Since I work Thursdays-Sundays, I grabbed the premiere Monday night (January 21) in that ninety minute block between Two Broke Girls and having the house to myself. (Read: I live on hostess wages and my favorite time of night/morning are when only the cats and I are awake. Ahem.)
Anywho, the starter was a bit slow…but then again it would be, given that they were picking teams and playing giant chess. One of my bandmates tried to teach me chess back in high school, but I never really got it. (Hell, I couldn’t even get it on that five-hour flight to Ireland when I was seventeen!) But this week looks promising: cosplay! I can’t believe that dressing up is considered…well, a sport for the convention-going kind; but then when I see all the work that goes into some of the costumes (and how freaking expensive some pieces are online!), I see it’s as much of a nerdtastic sport as Quidditch. (I can hear some people out there cheering that I made that comparison. And why not? 😉 ) There’s a new preview video out, showing Curtis as a geisha and Bobby as a samurai (I haven’t seen it…*tear*) and all I can ask is, “Why?!” No, I don’t think the concept is horrifying…more that one of my other guilty pleasures is geisha, so I’d prefer to see it the other way around! (Although maybe seeing my favorite male Carradine as a geisha would scar me for life, so perhaps TBS made the right decision…!)
I cultivated a couple of favorites from the premiere. I don’t remember if I saw any guys that I particularly liked (although Virgil definitely has a “nerd next door” thing going for him!), but there was a pair of ladies that caught my attention. The first was Celeste, a passionate gamer and speed cuber. Yes, this woman can speed through a Rubix cube in twenty-five fucking seconds! (I don’t know what her record is, but that’s her time from an interview this morning. I’m impressed that she can not only solve a Rubix cube, but doing it while answering interview questions! Amazing!) I don’t know what was the most attractive…maybe it was simply that she’s huge into gaming and I’m kind of envious, ’cause I gave up my 360 to write novels! (Not that I’d ever have the patience to be a crazy gamer like her, but…) My other favorite–and the one I’m rooting for–is Moogega. When I saw mentions of her on Twitter, I thought her name was a gamer handle or something, but no…Moogega (Moo-jay-guh) is her real name. Moo is a Ph.D. recipient who works at NASA as a planetary defense engineer…and she’s only 26! (I think the BBT boys should be afraid of her…I really do! She could outdo them in a heartbeat!) And she’s cute, too…adorable cute!
My biggest disappointment on this nerd questionnaire? No “what are you reading”! Certainly these people must stick their noses in books from time to time! Sheesh. Oh well…I will proceed to fill out the questionnaire for myself, and you can see how un-nerd-y I am:
- Game of Thrones, Walking Dead or Battlestar Galactica: You’d think I’d say BSG, given that my “Hollywood boyfriend” guest starred, but none of them hold a candle to Big Bang Theory!
- World of Warcraft or Call of Duty: I got lost in WoW and I thought Halo was cool, until I tried playing it in one player and realized how bad I was. No, if I had to pick a FPS, it would be any of the Doom games. (OLD SCHOOL!)
- Math or Science: Science, without a doubt. I am terrible at math and while I’m better with the…what do you want to call it? The “softer sciences”? (Earth sci, forensic sci, etc.) I still enjoy it. Which is probably why I hold a bachelor of science and not a bachelor of art!
- Edison or Tesla: I don’t know enough about Tesla to fairly judge.
- Asteroids or Ms. Pacman: Neither….I was more into combat games at the arcade.
- Favorite Superhero: I read Spider-Girl for a while. I like Spider-Man, but there are so many different iterations of the comics and the movies that a girl can quickly get lost! (If I have to choose between the movies, I’d definitely go old school again and say the originals.)
- Favorite Video Game: Lego Star Wars (the Complete Series). How much fun is it to run around and smash furniture with a light saber?!
- Favorite TV Show: Big Bang Theory, although Two Broke Girls is a close second.
- Favorite Movie: Non-Jamie, probably True Lies or The Craft. With Jamie, I think it’s a tie between Blowback and Sharpshooter.
- Favorite Musician or Band: I love Enya, but her CDs have been disappointing lately. The Strange Familiar is great, but so is Adele. ❤
- Pet: A silver tabby named Lauren (turning five next month)
- Celeb on Your Team: Well, if you’re going to make Bobby stay on as a judge, I’d love to have James Remar…even though he’d be distracting!
- Aliens: Whatever Moo says…knowing about aliens is her job!
- Favorite Game Show: At least I feel properly nerdy with an answer of Jeopardy! I love sitting there and just firing off answers, no sweat. Too bad I’ve never been called for an audition!
P.S.: There is a Facebook page dedicated to Dr. Moo’s tushie. No, I’m not kidding: https://www.facebook.com/MoogegaCoopersBooty